Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Happy little monster softie pattern & tutorial

Several years ago when my baby was a real live baby I made him a happy little monster softie for Christmas. With its circular feet and simple design it reminded me of the fellows from The Happy Monster Band.

Do any of you remember the Happy Monster Band that aired on Disney....like forever ago??? They were kinda cute and my kids used to love watching and listening to their silly little songs. We looked them up today for fun...you know to relive the old days. My ten year old kept nervously laughing and saying, "this is a little weird mom". It's sort of sad when they grow up.....sort of.

Today I want to share with you my pattern so that you can make some for your own little monsters.

I created my pattern in a really fancy program called paint.....I know, right?!
Click on the pattern to enlarge it. Copy the image, save, and print. Or, make up your own happy monster!

The awesome part about this little guy is you can customize like crazy. Add rickrack, a bow, a monogram, ruffles, anything! Also, this is a pretty simple project and would be perfect for beginners.

For this project you'll need:

* 2 coordinating fabrics (for the body)
* cotton, felt, or fleece (for the legs) note: if you use cotton you'll need to add a 1/4 inch seam allowance to the legs. 
* Felt (for the eyes)
* Embroidery thread
* hand sewing needles
* scrap of white fabric or felt (for the teeth)
* Fiberfill stuffing





Start by cutting out the back of the monster body in one of your fabrics. Set it aside.

 As I mentioned earlier, you'll need to add 1/4 inch seam allowance to the leg piece. When I drafted the pattern, I intended on the legs being made from fleece or felt both of which need not be turned after sewing.







 When your monster is all fat and happy, stitch up the opening using a ladder stitch. Here's a good tutorial if you're unfamiliar.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the tutorial. Your monster is adorable. I know I can make one with the steps you have outlined.

    ReplyDelete

I don't think I've ever told you this, but I like your comments best of all......shhh don't tell.