Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Cocktail dress love


My husband and I have been invited to a super fancy wedding. Black tie. I'm so hill billy, I had to google "black tie" attire. Essentially, a tux for him and a cocktail dress for me. YEA!! I love dressing up. Husband hates it but I'm so stinkin' excited. I've been scheming, pondering, and losing lots of sleep over what I should wear. 

I may have been born in the wrong era because the silhouette that keeps creeping into my brain is of course, vintage inspired. At first I thought maybe a sleek 1940s look would be fun, but then I found a gorgeous 1953 cocktail dress pattern in my stash (not pictured) and it completely won me over. The figure hugging bodices contrasted by the fluffy full skirts of the 1950s is delicious to me and I love everything about that look! 

I've gathered some vintage eye candy for you to drool over (unless you hate this sort of thing, in which case please disregard). The pictures are links to the original sources....oh, and Stay tuned, my vintage inspired cocktail dress is currently underway. {squeal}

Vintage Advance 9279 Tea Party Cocktail Dress Pattern Copy SALE




Vintage Clothing, Costume Jewelry, Fashion Accessories VINTAGEOUS.COM










Vintage Clothing, Costume Jewelry, Fashion Accessories VINTAGEOUS.COM




Which dress is your favorite?

7 comments:

  1. I so was born in the wrong decade... Sigh. Grace Kelly where are you when we need you! I love the third picture, and the last picture in that montage. Although the teaser picture is probably my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love them all. but #1--the blue--most of all. although i'd be perfectly happy to flounce around in any of them. can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaggghh!!! They are all so beautiful!!! But the polka dot one is by far my fav....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the blue one at the bottom! And the silhouette is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're all pretty dresses- I love the first one-it looks so elegant. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every one of them.... ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! I vision the orange dress against my dark brown skin so it's in my top three (**sigh** they're all so beautiful!) The lead-in, royal blue and the black lace overylay tie for first place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to pick just one...how 'bout two? The orange/red and the white - that'd be my wedding dress if I was gettin hitched - LOL

    ReplyDelete

I don't think I've ever told you this, but I like your comments best of all......shhh don't tell.