Monday, June 25, 2012

Tiered skirt for 18 inch doll

I didn't realize how crappy these pictures were until I stuck 'em in this post. Sadly, I'm feeling too lazy to retake them. 

My little girls each got a doll like this for Christmas last year. My oldest doesn't really do much with hers but the Second is always begging me to make clothes for her doll. There never seems to be time for doll clothes but last week when she asked me I broke out her sewing machine and we team tackled this little outfit. My lovely mother bought this book for me when I told her the girls were getting AG dolls. Love it!


The skirt was easy....like "my eight year old can make it all by herself" easy. So here's how we did it:

cut 3 strips of fabric
top tier- 2-1/2 inches x 18 inches
middle tier- 2-1/2 inches x 21 inches
bottom tier- 3-1/2 inches x 24 inches

Using a basting stitch, gather the bottom strip to match the length of the middle strip. Stitch them together. Repeat for the middle strip and top strip. Fold the top over about an inch and stitch to make a simple casing. Run some elastic through the casing. (the elastic should be cut to fit snugly around your dolly)  Line up the seams and stitch up the back of the skirt elastic and all! Soooo easy.
Email me if these directions made no sense. I'm typing them as my children are running amok. Not a good environment for clarity of mind. {wink wink}


No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't think I've ever told you this, but I like your comments best of all......shhh don't tell.