Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My dream job




Husband is always asking me; "what do you want to be when you grow up?" When I was a little girl I could have answered without any hesitation, "ballerina"  unfortunately for me, I'm both awkward, super short, and as far as ballerinas go somewhat stout.

Husband and I met when I was fresh out of high school. Ours is a classic, "boy meets girl right out of high school and then they get married" story. So as far as formal education goes, I'm lacking. Don't feel sorry for me though. If I could go back, I wouldn't change a thing.

An education isn't necessarily found in a classroom. When Husband was still in school, I got a job at a bridal shop in Provo, altering dresses. Some of my most useful education came from my amazing Chinese manager. She taught me the art of alterations while dealing with crazy emotional women. She introduced me to my favorite tool (razor blade). And she gave me the secrets of a good sweet and sour sauce. (Husband is still reaping the benefits of that lesson!) I find that practical application, is the very best teacher. Still, I'd like to have some sort of validation/recognition of my accrued skills. So, when my guy asks me "what do you want to be when you grow up?" I have to say, I want to work for me.

I want my own business. I was thinking yesterday about how fun it would be to have a "handmade" boutique. A place where artisans and crafters from allover can rent space to sell their wares. As I was daydreaming yesterday, I was thinking how perfect it would be, 5 years down the road when I start having teenagers, to have a place where they can work. (this mother is NOT buying cars, cell phones, laptops...etc.) I even started thinking about some of the logistics: I'd definitely need an accountant, a kitchenette, and a box of Lindt truffles sitting next to the cash register. I'd also need a back room so that I could set up a sewing machine. On my slow days I could sit in the back and work on whatever. And for those moms who have to bring their kids, my shop would be outfitted for them too. Picture a Pottery Barn toy kitchen, some dollies, and for the boys: a car mat, and some legos. Yes this is what I want to be when I grow up. This is my plan.

So who will join me when I buy my cute little cottage on Main Street? I'll have great rates, and be charming to work with I'm sure.




2 comments:

  1. Dream big baby! You could SO do that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...Me! Pick me! You are one of the most talented and amazing women I know! You could so do that and I could work the cash register and keeping an eye on those Lindt truffles for you! ( =

    ReplyDelete

I don't think I've ever told you this, but I like your comments best of all......shhh don't tell.