Monday, August 22, 2011

A rainbow cake...I couldn't resist!

The birthday boy


The cake

I know these have been floating around blog land and it's not original at
all, but I couldn't resist. Sometimes original is overrated anyway....at least
when it comes to cake! If it's delectable then it doesn't really matter that
everyone and their dog is making it..right? I did want to share the icing
recipe because it's a party waiting to happen in your mouth. I couldn't stop
"tasting" it!


Whipped cream frosting
1 8oz. package cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1- Beat cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy.
2- Add salt and vanilla
3- In a separate bowl use an electric mixer to beat whipping cream.
Beat until stiff peaks form but be careful not to whip too long cause
you'll end up with butter. Butter's good but not for this recipe!
4- Fold whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture

Voila! Heaven in a bowl!!

* to fill and frost the rainbow cake, I doubled this recipe. Also, this is
a really soft frosting so it's not going to be very smooth on the outside.



6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that is too perfect. That's it, I'm emailing you with a link to one of the most interesting rainbow cakes of all time . . . one that my mom just made for my sister's birthday. I think once you see the picture, the reason for never seeing pretty little desserts on my blog will be painfully clear . . . it's obviously not in my family's gene pool :-) Great job in the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! My daughter is having a rainbow-themed birthday party next month and I'm going to attempt to make the cake myself. Your whipped frosting looks awesome. :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks awesome! I really want to try that frosting, yummy! My mom made a rainbow cake for Brooke once and it was a multi-colored disaster. Happy Birthday Wyatt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen those cakes on Pinterest and have been dying to make one. That frosting sounds delicious!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to try your icing recipe. Your rainbow cake is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wanting to try this frosting recipe for my daughter's first birthday smash cake photos. Her pictures will be taken outdoors so I was wondering if the icing will melt quickly? How do you think it will hold up for her pictures?

    ReplyDelete

I don't think I've ever told you this, but I like your comments best of all......shhh don't tell.